What will 2018 bring?
Home made Yule log
Eddie in the sun
New charity shop purchase for £1
Brrrrrr...... How long until Spring?
This winter (so far):-
- We have finished gardening for a few months. It is not physically possible to get more than 3 pairs of socks in my wellies.
- We have been temping. This is new to me but I am strangely enjoying trying different jobs. Sarah has even been a dinner lady serving up Christmas dinners!
- I've been trying more craft projects than I can possibly complete. Who cares? It's winter for goodness sake and what's the alternative? Yes, eating.
- I have been keeping warm with Port + Log burner + blankie
- I have discovered that the slow cooker is most excellent for making huge batches of soup.
- We have been regularly emptying the washing up bowl in the loft during the gales and torrential rain.
- We have become addicted to our recent period drama discovery - 'Victoria'.
- And there were no tears or breakages on Christmas Day. Yahoo!
Mother and son quality time in Grovely Woods
Eddie loves the woods
It was a glorious autumn day
Another family walk with the girls and Louis
We had fun trying to find our way to Dulwich Picture Gallery to see a Tove Jansson exhibition in London one day. 25 stops on the top of the bus from Clapham Junction!
Sarah discovered that she liked my mulled cider in The Great Exhibition pub in Dulwich.
What's not to like?
The quirky Great Exhibition pub
Doing a bit more knitting in my dungarees - happy
Reading a bit of Dickins to get in the Christmas mood
I have been dressing like an elf in my temping factory job, helping to make display panels for art galleries. One lot went off to the new V&A in Dundee which is opening next year.
Using a pillar drill. Should have sucked my belly in. Oh well.
Festive drinkies in (one!) of our locals, The Queens Head, Broadchalke
Making Christmas cards
The panto this year was Jack and the Beanstalk. I got over excited during the audience participation.
Why have we not made yule log before? It's just chocolate swiss roll with real chocolate icing. It turned out well for Maisie's birthday cake. Should have made a bigger one though.
I've discovered a new charity shop 'Wilton Emporium'
It's massive. I could stay overnight I suppose.
Frozen puddles are quite interesting if you have lots of time on your hands.
I'd like winter if it was like this for more than one or two days a year.
Ed and I had a leisurely stroll
Looking for 'stuff'
Imagining we were little miniature people living in old tree trunks. No, that's just me.
Beautiful soft light
Even our soggy garden looks nice when the sun comes out (stop moaning)
Leaves in the wheelbarrow
This winter has been a 'Moominland Midwinter'. What with the fantastic Tove Jansson exhibition in London, Esme bought me a Moomin mug and Oliver a Moomin book for Christmas! With all the extra choccies, trifle, mince pies and cheese and crackers I'm beginning to look like Moomintroll! Resolution - must eat less......
'The sky was almost black, but the snow shone a bright blue in the moonlight. The sea lay asleep under the ice, and deep down among the roots of the earth all the small beasts were sleeping and dreaming of spring. But spring was quite a bit away because the year had only just got a little past New Year.'
- Moominland Midwinter by Tove Jansson 1957