Monday, October 31, 2016

October - let the fungi season begin.....

October - 

This month I have been mostly -

- raking leaves
- stacking logs
- carving pumpkins
- making soup
- reading
- watching films

and generally enjoying the colour and misty mornings.


Sunrise


Ghostly layer of mist behind the bungalow




Spellbinding skies



Still lots of colour in the garden.


Golden Rod




Cosmos


Echinacea


The bungalow has had cosmetic surgery.


The drive, in all it's muddy glory, waiting to be made pretty

My fellow bungalow girl was unusually spontaneous and drove us to Southbourne one Sunday.  We ate our picnic in the car as the heavens opened...


but the rain soon cleared


and breathe........



Not the same without a dog though!




I have enjoyed the last of my post work sunset walks.  Now the clocks have changed it will be dark by the time I get home (blows raspberry).





Down by the river Ebble

We borrowed Basil yesterday for a walk to Martin Down nature reserve.  At 336 hectares, it is one of the largest areas of chalk grassland in the country.



Basil exploring Martin Down


It is impossible to wear Basil out!


Fungi time!


Could be an amethyst deceiver


Basil found a ball in the leaves


Puff ball







If I knew it wasn't going to rot and smell, I would have taken this home


Is it odd to want to be shrunk down to the size of a thimble and sit under one of this mushrooms?
Or am I just weird?



Glowing autumn colour, even in the murkiness


Gorse

I made the usual pumpkin soup last night.  I discovered it is even nicer with some Parmesan on top. Sarah made me some ciabatta to go with my butter....


Pumpkin soup


Waiting for the trick or treaters - notice new drive..... 

This year our pumpkins (many but small) were ready a month too early and after leaving them in the shed they were so hard I couldn't get a knife into them!


I gave up on this one as I was worried I might give myself a fatal stab wound in my effort to carve it.


Raised beds ready for planting

Well, November tomorrow. 

 I'm thinking.... 

- charity shopping for knitwear
- looking for some new soup recipes
- watching a black and white film 
- finding a good spooky read for the dark evenings
- being thrifty
- Oh, and hoping a dog will come our way

"Dogs are here to remind us life really is a simple thing.  You eat, sleep, take walks, and pee when you must.  That's about all there is.  They are quick to forgive trespasses and assume strangers will be kind."

- Jonathan Carroll, The Marriage of Sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment